The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Halloween During COVID

Saturday October 31st 2020. This year’s Halloween is not going to be like your average Halloween. With almost the whole year changing our lives as we know it, will COVID-19 change our Halloween? 

As we all know and remember Halloween is about going trick-or-treating, dressing up, having halloween parties, scary movies, and just having fun. Some of that is a big issue in today’s United States. The USA has an outrageous amount of COVID-19 cases and deaths. Halloween could add more deaths and cases to the list. Every holiday that has happened during quarantine has made the cases and death spike up. For example, Easter, Labor and Memorial day, Fathers Day, and the 4th of July. All of those cases resulted in a spike in COVID-19 cases. With all of these holidays, our Governor put many things in place, he closed beaches, stopped firework shows and recommended we not have large gatherings. Will our Governor be taking any precautions with Halloween? 

As of September 21st, the CDC (The Center of Disease and Control) put out a statement saying, “Many traditional Halloween activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses. There are several safer, alternative ways to participate in Halloween. If you may have COVID-19 or you may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, you should not participate in in-person Halloween festivities and should not give out candy to trick-or-treaters.” Which explains that many Halloween activities could spread COVID-19. 

Trick-or-treat! How would trick-or-treating work this year? The CDC has categories on how high or low the risk would be during these activities at this time. Door to door trick-or-treating is under the higher risk activities. Trunk-or-treating, is like an alternative to trick-or-treating which has gained popularity in the recent years, is also under the higher risk activities. The CDC recommends if you do go trick-or-treating, or you want to pass out candy, there should be sanitized goodie bags lined up for families to pick up and continue to socially distance. 

Costumes and scary masks. Everyone loves dressing up and wearing scary masks, but will a medical/fabric mask be a part of your costume this year? The CDC says to wear a medical/fabric mask no matter what. They encourage you to not wear any costume masks this year because they do not protect you from the virus and you can not wear a medical/fabric mask under because it will limit your ability to breathe. 

Scary movies are always at their prime time during halloween time. Movie theaters have been closed for a while now, so many horror movies were not released this year. Many movies will be able to be bought or rented though.  

Honestly if we are being real, I think covid cases will most definitely spike up after Halloween. There will still be people passing out candy and people still be throwing Halloween parties. 

And they might be passing out Covid, too…