The renovation of Bakersfield High School’s Warren Hall

Jolie Wyatt
The construction at BHS is visible to all from Elm Grove.

Construction on Campus

Now that the school year has begun, it’s time to address the elephant in the room: the construction on campus. Students have been left wondering why parts of campus are blocked off from construction. 

Warren Hall is one of Bakersfield High School’s longest-standing buildings. It was built in 1935, and it has grown to serve as the heart of the campus. With its dilapidated stream pipes and corrugated ceiling tiles, Melisa Rizo, BHS Assistant Principal of Instruction, said the administration thought it was time to improve and modernize Warren Hall. Rizo confirmed this will be a  multi-million dollar project, roughly estimated to cost $35.1 million in total.

The Modernization of Warren Hall

This historic landmark is set to undergo a remarkable transformation that will, not only restore it to its formal glory but introduce a new era for Bakersfield High School. The project’s plans include the installation of ramps, elevators, and wider doorways to accommodate individuals with disabilities. These renovations will improve and update the infrastructure to ensure a secure learning environment for all students. 

Furthermore, the project will ensure that classrooms, floors, windows, staircases, and bathrooms are modernized. The outdoor portion of the renovation plan started in June 2023 and is expected to be done by December 2023. Rizo confirms that the indoor plans are scheduled to be executed in September 2024, and are expected to be completed in June 2025. The district is counting on receiving state matching funds for the project, as it’s roughly estimated to cost $20 million.

The Current Situation

Currently, the reconstruction of Warren Hall’s roof is scheduled to be completed by the end of this month. It was a simultaneous project with the mending of the pipes outside of the building, which will lay the groundwork for the new AC unit plan that will be enacted. The cost of the project is estimated at $7-8 million dollars and is expected to be completed by December of this year.

While this construction project aims to enhance and restore Warren Hall, it can also bring about temporary challenges for students. The noise, dust, and restricted access to the campus can lead to feelings of frustration among students. However, as the project continues to progress, more entranceways will open up for students.

Students are encouraged to do their best to adapt to these constricted circumstances and welcome a new era to Bakersfield High School.