GOP holds second 2024 presidential debate

Screenshots captured by Brandon Roberts.

The second Grand Old Party (GOP) debate, held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley California on Sep. 27, was a significant event in the lead-up to the 2024 presidential election. This debate is for to see who will be the republican party’s representative during the election for President of the United States.

The Republican candidates who were involved in the debate include

• Nikki Haley, former United Nations Ambassador
  • Ron DeSantis, Governor of Florida
  • Vivek Ramaswamy, businessman
  • Mike Pence, former Vice President of the United States
  • Doug Burgum, Governor of North Dakota
  • Chris Christie, former Governor of New Jersey
  • Tim Scott, U.S. Senator

This debate followed a structured format, allowing each candidate a fair opportunity to express their views; it was moderated by Dana Perinon from Fox News, Stuart Varney of Fox Business Network, and Ilia Calderón of Univision. The event aimed to delve into critical issues facing the nation and, provide voters with a clearer understanding of the candidates’ stances.

Throughout the debate, a wide range of policy topics were discussed. The topics discussed include the U.S. economy, the United Auto Workers Strike, immigration, child care, foreign policy, and oil and gas production.

Each candidate presented their plans, outlining their vision for the future of the United States, and how they would address these pressing matters. These policy discussions allowed voters to better understand the candidates’ positions and compare their approaches to the challenges facing the nation and how this will impact the lives of U.S. residents, such as their income, crime, and healthcare issues.

Every candidate was there, except former President Donald Trump, who opted not to attend. Some of the loudest criticisms of President Trump weren’t focused on his record or his legal troubles, but rather on his decision not to attend.

“Donald I know you’re watching. You’re ducking these things, and let me tell you what’s going to happen. You keep doing that, and no one here’s going to call you Donald Trump anymore. We’re going to call you Donald Duck,” Christe said.

The debate witnessed intense exchanges between candidates; it was a hectic debate with the candidates

often talking over each other. These heated discussions brought forth different ideologies and approaches, providing voters with a deeper understanding of the topics that were discussed.

According to recent polls, specific candidates shone during the debate and demonstrated their charisma, knowledge, and ability to connect with the audience. These stand-outs include such as Haley, DeSantis, Ramaswamy, and Scott. These standout performances will impact their popularity and position within the race.

As with any political debate, controversial statements were made, generating both support and criticism such as Haley’s statements about TikTok, a social media app.

“TikTok is one of the most dangerous social media apps that we could have,” Haley said.

These moments sparked discussions about the candidates’ suitability for office, their judgment, and their ability to handle sensitive issues.

Each candidate appears to have entered the debate with a unique strategy. Observing the strategies employed by the candidates can arguably provide valuable insights into their politics, as well as their understanding of voter preferences.

The second GOP debate was a crucial event in the 2024 presidential election cycle since it allowed voters to witness candidates’ policy positions, witness their ability to articulate ideas and evaluate candidates’ performance under pressure. The debate provided invaluable insights into the Republican Party’s internal dynamics and the candidates’ strategies. As the election season progresses, these discussions and moments will continue to shape the political landscape and influence voters’ decisions.

It is not over yet; the next GOP debate is in Miami on November 8. The candidates that are going to participate in the next debate must obtain a minimum of 70,000 unique donors and at least 4% of the vote in multiple polls to qualify.

According to FiveThirtyEight Interactives, the polled support for each candidate includes

• Donald Trump (57.3%)
  • Ron DeSantis (14.3%)
  • Nikki Haley (7.6%)
  • Vivek Ramaswamy (7.3%)
  • Mike Pence (4.0%)
  • Christ Christie (2.7%)
  • Tim Scott (2.3%)
  • Doug Burgum (0.8%)
  • Asa Hutchinson (0.4%)
  • Will Hurd (0.1%)

*These results are as of Oct. 5 at 4:20 p.m.