Meet the directors: Anna Olson and Tamara Maiocco

Jolie Wyatt
Tamara Maiocco and Anna Olson (Lovan) are seen in the SAB.

Even as our year progresses, we’re still unfamiliar with the people who make things run at Bakersfield High School.  There are two remarkable women behind so many things happening on campus, including Drillers’ favorite activities and sporting events.

Anna Olson, Bakersfield High School Activities Director

Anna Olson, more widely known as Anna Lovan, is the Activities Director on campus.

Lovan does so much on campus. From overseeing clubs, events, community service, and even, student council and link crew. She works closely with every staff member on campus ensuring they are aware of what is happening on campus. 

This has been her position for 17 years, and she has also taught various electives over the years, including two different types of leadership classes, yearbook, as well as the student store. She started out teaching English and soon switched over to teaching student leadership and was the yearbook advisor up until 2022.

Her favorite part of her job is making everyone’s high school experience fun and exciting. To be concise, she does many things around campus. She organizes rallies and dances. She also curates lunch activities and whole-school community service events. 

“Don’t change who you are because someone else is,” Lovan wrote.

Tamara Maiocco, Bakersfield High School Athletics Director

Tamara Maiocco is the Athletic Director. She organizes sporting events and works with coaches and athletes within BHS and throughout the Kern High School District. 

Maiocco started at BHS as a Physical Education teacher in 2005, as well as a Health teacher, and is now the only female Athletics Director in the Kern High School District. 

She started this position in July 2022. Maiocco has recently got her credential in Administration.

She is incredibly passionate about her work with the coaches, teams, and athletes. Maiocco loves her job, and she enjoys attending conferences with other athletic directors. 

“Get involved in a sport. Even if you don’t know how to play and you have some type of athletic ability most likely we can teach you! It will make high school so much better.” is her advice to students.