Meet the counselor: Paul Ogilvie

Arline Pineda
Paul Ogilvie is seen in Elm Grove with his guitar.

In the heart of Tehachapi, a town with a population of merely 4,000 at the time, Paul Ogilvie, a dedicated school counselor at Bakersfield High School, came to be. 

Born and raised during the 1970s-1990s in Tehachapi, Ogilvie carries the spirit of a small-town upbringing. His roots run deep, with a mother who attended Bakersfield High School and a father who attended Garces Memorial High School. 

He was raised in a household where academic excellence was non-negotiable, and young Ogilvie found himself navigating the academic landscape under the watchful eyes of his parents, who insisted on nothing less than a C. During a Christmas Eve revelation, Mr. Ogilvie stumbled upon a hidden gem —his mother’s old transcript from BHS, revealing a D and an F. With the help of a co-worker, Ken Hooper, he orchestrated a confrontation that created fond memories.

Before becoming a counselor, Ogilvie used to work as a P.E. teacher and coach at Centennial High School, where he undoubtedly left an indelible mark. However, his transition to counseling allowed him to witness when Bakersfield High School’s football team won the State Championships. Reflecting on this defining moment, Ogilvie acknowledged the challenge of pinpointing a single highlight in a school with such a rich history.

Guided by the unwavering principle of continuous self-improvement, Mr. Ogilvie encapsulates his philosophy with a poignant question that echoes through his daily life: “Are you being the best you can be today?” This mantra serves as his compass, navigating the complexities of counseling, teaching, and taking part in the Driller community.

Beyond his professional career, Ogilvie carries a unique charm: his four-year journey as a guitarist. This adds a melodic dimension to his intricate personality. Additionally, Ogilvie is a father to two sons and owns a few chickens. 

In the corridors of Bakersfield High School, Ogilvie has stood as a pillar of support for many students for over sixteen years. His journey from a small-town upbringing to a role in the academic tapestry of BHS is a testament to his determination.