The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Journalism Day: Bakersfield High School receives awards in five categories

KHSD Public Information Office

The Kern High School district held its annual Journalism Day on March 8 at Bakersfield College. The event was hosted and run by Erin Auerbach, advisor to Bakersfield College’s “The Renegade

Rip,” and Kristen Hunter-Flores, advisor to Ridgeview High School’s “Pack News.”

What is Journalism Day?

Journalism Day is a collective day where journalism students from KHSD schools’ student newspapers come together to learn from professionals.

Students attend multiple workshops, and they have the opportunity to win awards for their work. 

In this year’s Journalism Day, “The Blue and White” placed in every category entered. “The Blue and White: did not submit an entry for the Broadcast Journalism award.

Journalism Day Awards

Several schools notably placed in each category; noteworthy schools from the competition include “Pack News” and Del Oro High School’s “The Sunburst.”

“The Blue and White” received awards in the following categories:

-Best Photo (First Place): Alex Cardona won for submitting a photo from “Homecoming Recap: Preparing for the Driller Bowl 2023.”

-Best Feature Story (Third Place): Dulce Castro Gomez was awarded for her story “Dia de Los Muertos: Origins and local celebrations.”

-Best News Story (Honorable Mention): Brandon Roberts received an honorable mention for his story “The renovation of Bakersfield High School’s Warren Hall.”

-Best Sports Story (Honorable Mention): Azuliris “Blue” Flores received an honorable mention for her story “Drillerbowl 2023: The homecoming game and halftime show.”