Why TikTok users are gifting flores amarillas this spring

Daniela Gonzalez

With the tradition of gifting flores amarillas, yellow flowers, to loved ones trending on social media, many people are left wondering what the purpose of the tradition is. 

The expanding popularity of the tradition occurred after a musical version of the Argentine telenovela “Floricienta” went viral on TikTok. The story focuses on Flor, who has been dreaming of receiving yellow flowers from her future lover since childhood. 

Why do people gift flores amarillas? 

This tradition started in Mexico in the early 2000s when couples and strangers began giving out yellow flowers to each other. Flores amarillas are typically given on March 21 and September 21-23. 

The tradition has spread to other countries and the gifting of flores amarillas has since become popular in a variety of Latin countries. Some countries that have also taken up this tradition include Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Some countries, such as Brazil and Ecuador, give flores amarillas specifically on September 21. 

The choice of the color yellow is thought to symbolize the beginning of the new season, sun, and new life. You can give these flowers to your partner, friends, strangers, and family members to show your love to them. 

There are various comments on social media discussing the two different meanings of the yellow flowers. People who have received them from others see them as a symbol of love, a life together, and the same beautiful romance that is found between Federico and Floricienta of “Floricienta.” 

While the types of flowers that are often given include sunflowers and yellow roses, participants can gift any type of yellow flower. 

National Flowers Day

Even though this tradition became popular on TikTok, March 21 is National Flowers Day in the United States. 

“In the United States in the mid-1800s, the first rose parade took place in Pasadena, California where the popularity of flowers had greatly increased,” Thursd wrote.

There are many ways to celebrate National Flowers Day. A few ways to celebrate include

-Planting flowers

-Sending flowers to a friend

-Making edible flowers

-Visiting a botanical garden

-Learning some flower care tips 

Where can flores amarillas be found locally?

Bakersfield residents have a variety of florists that they can purchase the flowers from. Locals can turn to their neighborhood florist or check out one of Yelp’s selected top ten florists.