The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

California sees a decrease in the number of voters during the 2024 primary election

Alex Cardona

The 2024 Primary Elections just happened, and only 34% of Californian voters voted in the primaries compared to 2020 46.9% of voters voted in the primaries it’s time for Americans to understand why it’s important to vote.

For absentee voters, two separate ballots were mailed to their registered address earlier this year. It is unclear if the use of multiple ballots had an impact on the number of absentee voters casting their ballots.

According to “The Hill,” 77 million Americans did not vote in the 2020 November presidential election.  

Why does voting matter? 

2023 election data provided by the CA Secretary of State. (Destinee Sims)

Voting matters because it allows citizens to express their opinions and political views. It gives them a voice to choose the president of the United States, the mayor, the governor, and other representatives who will shape policies and make decisions on their behalf. By casting a vote, they can directly impact the direction their country and community will take. 

When citizens exercise their right to vote, they can choose candidates who align with their values and priorities, which helps create a government that has their best needs and interests in mind. 

When the public elects officials by voting, the government is also more representative of and for the people. U.S. citizens must have a voice in determining the direction of the country by participating in elections. voters will contribute to shaping the policies that reflect the values and promote the changes in this country they want to see.

Voting plays a crucial role in protecting the individual rights of the voters and promoting equality. Through voting, citizens can support candidates that advocate for certain policies such as human rights, healthcare, “foreign policy, fair taxes, and equality for all. By participating in elections, individuals can help safeguard their rights and the candidates who provide them that reassurance.

Voting encourages engagement and active participation in the voting process. When Americans vote, they become more aware of political issues and current events. This leads to more engagement with fellow citizens, which is essential for a functioning democracy. It empowers individuals to be informed about political issues, engage in debates, and contribute to the democratic and voting process.

Ten percent of Americans reportedly were feeling hopeful about voting, four percent were excited, and 55 percent felt angry.  Many voted because they were for or against a particular issue or candidate. For others, voting is about ensuring high voter turnout, resulting in greater access to elected officials and more of a say in community decisions.

It is important to understand that these reasons may vary among Americans, but they contribute to the significance of voting in American society. Voting gives individuals the power to express their opinions, hold elected officials accountable, influence policies, protect rights, and foster civic engagement. It is a fundamental right and crucial for all citizens in a democratic society.