The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Mike Tyson returns to accept challenge fight from Jake Paul

A 27-year-old Jake Paul will fight a 58-year-old Tyson in a boxing match on July 20.

The match will be broadcast on Netflix for subscribers to watch.

This fight has been sanctioned as a professional boxing match and is not an exhibition, which means the match will be added to the boxers’ professional records.

Paul versus Tyson will occur at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, which seats over 80,000. 

Paul is 9-1 in his boxing career, with his lone loss coming to Tommy Fury in February 2023. He won his last two fights via knockout and has beaten former UFC stars Nate Diaz, Anderson Silva, and Tyron Woodley.

Mike Tyson is 50-6 in professional boxing fights with 44 wins by knockout. Tyson’s punching power led him to knock out 33 of his first 37 opponents on his way to becoming the youngest heavyweight champion ever and the first undisputed heavyweight champion in the three-belt era.

Tyson is one of boxing’s GOATs, but he’s almost 60, and taking a fight at this age is dangerous.

“We’re about to produce the biggest fight in history. A fight in the biggest NFL stadium in the U.S., broadcast live on the biggest streaming platform in the world, is a testament to all we’ve accomplished in such a short amount of time,” Paul said in a statement. 

When Tyson was in his prime, he was boxing’s best heavyweight and one of the most feared fighters in the world. However, he hasn’t had a professional fight since 2005 and is about 30 years older than Paul.

“It’s a full-circle moment that will be beyond thrilling to watch, as I started (Paul) on his boxing journey on the undercard of my fight with Roy Jones, and now I plan to finish him,” Tyson said in a statement.

There’s no denying that Paul has grown as a fighter, but this could be the highest stakes yet for one of his fights. A loss to Tyson would severely derail Paul’s momentum. Yes. While this may seem like a fever dream, it’s a reality at least for now. 

Driller Thoughts

“I have money all on Mike Tyson, but I won’t lie, the fight will be good. As wack as Jake Paul is, he can fight– there is no denying it– but go Mike,” Cesar Garcia, a BHS freshman, said.

Cesar Robledo, senior, and Albert Garcia, junior, had quite a disagreement about the upcoming fight during lunch. While Robledo is supporting Tyson, Garcia is rooting for Paul. 

Garcia’s reasons were understandable, as he was considering the age, speed, and mentality of the fighters. 

“Mike Tyson has all the speed, and most importantly the experience. Experience is everything in the sport of boxing. I mean look, at Canelo and Munguia. Mungia had the advantages to win against Canelo Height and Reach, but Canelo’s speed and experience took over the 12 rounds,” Robledo said.