The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Cancel Culture: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

“I-
“You’re canceled.”
“Wha-what?”
“You’re canceled.”
“How?”
“You breathed wrong which can affect the way people with lung problems can breathe which means you’re making fun of them which means you’re canceled.”
“…what?”
“You’re still doing it! You deserve to be canceled.”

Cancel culture, you love it or you hate it. Most days you hate it. Canceling has become a big issue in social media; specifically Twitter (oh, how I love trashing twitter). With the rise of streamers, youtubers and social media influencers, it seems like everyone is ready to find flaws and evil destined to strip away their fame and fortune. Even if it means going six years to the past to do it. They’d think they are doing good but in reality they’re making things a bit harder than they need to be.

First, what is Cancel culture? Why is it a thing? And how did it get so bad? Well with a quick Google search to “Dictionary.com”, cancel culture is defined as “the popular practice of withdrawing support for (canceling) public figures and companies after they have done or said something considered objectionable or offensive. Cancel culture is generally discussed as being performed on social media in the form of group shaming.” Now at first glance that seems reasonable right? If someone makes an offensive comment or action they should be held accountable for their actions and if they don’t then they are in the right to be canceled.

A very good example is youtuber and twitch streamer CallMeCarson. Carson is fairly well known in the gaming community but once it was exposed that he was using his fame for grooming minors and still hasn’t spoken on it(seriously all his friends have spoken on it but he has been very silent the past 3 months), well it was clear what was going to happen.

However while cancel is helpful, it’s also very harmful when taken advantage of. Especially for past actions that have already been resolved. Such as insensitive words that they have apologized multiple times for and still are being canceled for. Dream is a very good example, the streamer has been the target for many things good and bad that even if you don’t know him, you definitely heard his name. Then there’s people making up stuff just to cancel someone they don’t know or like. CorpseHusband;a man with the deepest voice in the void, has probably been called out for more things than you can name. From robbery to sexual assault, Corpse has been ridiculed and canceled for so many things that at this point its annoying and he has to always address it and he also sounds tired of it. The guys just want to make music and play games geez.

Cancel Culture is a double edged sword of chaos. You’re called out but don’t get the chance to learn from your mistakes at a timely manner. You can’t change overnight, especially if it’s something you’ve learned since you were a kid. Which is why it’s very harmful to ridicule and patronize people for things they can’t fix the next day. That’s why people take breaks from social media. To grow and reflect away from the eyes of others.

Cancel Culture, let’s cancel it.