Meet the teacher: Leah Truitt

Meet Ms. Truitt

Photo provided by Leah Truitt.

Leah Truitt is a freshman English teacher here at Bakersfield High School; this is her first year teaching at BHS.  She is the leader of the Crochet and Crafts club at BHS. 

Her Background

Truitt was a student and graduated from BHS. 

“I love the BHS community and it is so amazing to go from being a student to being a teacher here. My coworkers at BHS are fantastic to work with and I feel so lucky to be here every day!” Truitt wrote in an email.

Before Truitt got a job at BHS, she completed her student teaching through the Kern High Teacher Residency at Stockdale High School. Truitt got her degree in English and she has a minor in psychology. She got both her credential and English degree from California State University, Bakersfield.

Photo provided by Leah Truitt.

While at CSUB, she worked in the CSUB student recreation center; she stated that she loved that job because she was able to learn so many different new skills such as photography, photo editing, making flyers, etc.

Hobbies and Interests

A little more about Truitt is that she likes to sew and learn new recipes. She enjoys writing poetry and has published a couple. Her first small book of poetry, “Chapbook,” was published through BirdCage Ink, a local publishing company in Bakersfield. Her next two poetry collections were self-published by Truitt herself.