The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Homecoming Recap: Preparing for the Driller Bowl 2023

Homecoming Spirit Week for Bakersfield High School began on Sep. 25. The theme this year was Driller Bowl 2023. Each class recreated an iconic Superbowl halftime show; each class was inspired by the halftime shows from 2016, 1993, 2015, and 2022.

Here’s what happened during Homecoming week:

Day 1: “The Lazy Song: Pajama Day

Drillers start homecoming week with a spirited yawn. On Sep. 25, Drillers rolled out of their beds and came to school in their pajamas! Paying homage to Bruno Mars’ “The Lazy Song,” Drillers wore their best PJs and lazily went to each class. 

During both lunches, Drillers could be found in front of the office playing a game of “Cheese Ball Toss.” It was a great way to get Drillers excited for the rest of Homecoming!

Day 2: “Billie Jean” Denim Day

Billie JEAN was our love on the second day of spirit week this Hoco season! On Sep. 26, Drillers were decked out in their denim. This spirit day was picked by the sophomore class and was based on Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean”. 

On Tuesday, Drillers participated in musical chairs during both lunches.

Day 3: “Birthday Day” Dress Like Your Birthday

Happy 130th birthday Drillers! On Sep. 27, Drillers dressed in party hats, beautiful dresses, and suits, just like it was their birthday! Drillers paid tribute to Katy Perry’s “Birthday” while celebrating the school’s 130th birthday and Griffith Stadium’s 100-year anniversary.

They celebrated even more by eating cake and grabbing balloons during both lunches.  

Day 4: “California Love” 90’s Hip Hop Day

California Love! On Sep. 28, Drillers dressed up for a blast from the past. From parachute pants to bucket hats, Drillers were decked out in 90’s fashion. This dress-up day was for the 90’s hip-hop legends. Including Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and Mary J. Blige, just to name a few. 

During both lunches, Drillers danced to hits of the 90’s. 

Day 5: “Extreme Driller Fan” Blue and White Day

Finally homecoming! On Sep. 29, Drillers showed off their pride by wearing blue and white. We started the Homecoming Rally with performances from Tmoneybunny, AKA Junior Class President Thomas Woods, the Driller dance team, the band, the drumline, and the cheerleaders. We also had the honor to meet all of our fall sports teams. Drillers also got to play multiple rally games. 

During both lunches, Drillers had the opportunity to get temporary tattoos supporting our very own “Drillerbowl 2023”.

Our Homecoming game consisted of recreations of Super Bowl halftime shows and the announcement of Mr and Miss BHS winners.