“Gilmore Girls:” The fall phenomenon

Jolie Wyatt

With the changing of the seasons, many viewers will find themselves beginning to watch their favorite fall shows and movies again. For some viewers, it is officially “Gilmore Girls” season.

“Gilmore Girls” is a 2000s sitcom and family drama written by Amy Sheman Palladino. The show follows the mother-daughter duo of Lorelai and Rory Gilmore and their life in the fictional small town of Stars Hollow.

The show has been rewatched for years by fans. However, it is binged the most right around the start of fall, as it is brought up heavily on social media, as well as everyone’s Netflix home screen.

The show has a homey, fall feels throughout the entirety of its seven seasons despite Stars Hollow not being constantly stuck in an autumn snow globe. A different season associated most with this show is winter. 

“I smell snow,” is Lorelai Gilmore’s most referenced quote. It was first heard in the episode “Love and War and Snow” (season one, episode 8).

Here’s the real question: why do people feel this way about this show? 

“The series symbolizes this change in the weather as the townspeople of Stars Hollow always seem to be gearing up for the colder months, marked by their signature charming and quirky town events. The themes of community, friendship, and motherhood tend to hit home more in the colder months.” Jeffrey Davies, a staff writer at Collider, writes.  

However, this quote can be contradicted by the many spring and summer events throughout the show. 

Some spring and summer episodes of the show can be found in, season 4, episode 17- ‘Girls in Bikinis, Boys Doin the Twist’ and season 3, episode 1-‘Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer’ to name a few. 

One thing to mention is that this show isn’t only filmed in the fall and winter months, as seen above. The events that happen in this town happen year-round. There are events like the “Spring Fling Festival” where the town has an extremely large hay bale maze. There is also the “Bid a Basket” event where people of the won make baskets and they are sold for charity held as winter fades into spring. 

However, this show will always have the “fall” feeling as it was aired for the first time in October of 2000. It starts with “There She Goes” by The La’s and lights up this small town in America. The town is covered in fall foliage and twinkle lights. As an ending note, the show closes in on a fall scene of the diner where it all started.

Are you watching “Gilmore Girls” this fall? Share your fall must-watch shows and movies with us at [email protected] or on social media!

View Comments (4)