The BHS Black Student Union and the empowerment of black Drillers on campus

Photos provided by Jennifer Jenkins.

The Black Student Union (BSU) is an essential organization that provides a safe space for black students at Bakersfield High School and other campuses around the United States. 

What is the BSU?

It was initially founded in the 1960s during the Civil Rights Movement, and the BHS BSU started around 34 years ago. The BSU continues

Photos provided by Jennifer Jenkins.

to be a powerful force in promoting social justice and fostering a sense of community among black students here on campus today.

The primary purpose of the Black Student Union is to create a safe and inclusive space for black students to express their concerns, share experiences, and support one another. The organization often organizes events, such as panel discussions, workshops, and cultural celebrations, to raise awareness about issues affecting the black community and to educate the broader campus community.

The BSU at BHS

The BSU at BHS is run by Jennifer Jenkins and Rukiya Shehee. They currently have around 73 members who actively show up to meetings regularly, with junior Dilyn Stweart as their club president. 

BSU is one way to get involved on campus and for Drillers to meet other black students on campus.

“We just have a good time. People should know it’s not a burden; it’s something that will benefit you,” Stewart said.

In addition to addressing systemic issues, the Black Student Union also provides a platform for black students to celebrate their culture and heritage. 

Photos provided by Jennifer Jenkins.

According to Jenkins, they organize on-campus events, and BSU members will have the opportunity to organize the upcoming regional conference. She also states that the state conference next year will be an amazing opportunity for BSU students and that there are a lot of ways for club members to get college scholarships.

The Black Student Union also plays a vital role in fostering leadership and personal development skills among its members. The BSU also provides opportunities for students to develop their skills in organizing events, public speaking, and community outreach.

Through the BSU, members have completed personal essays and college applications, and in the spring they will work on their manners and etiquette. These experiences not only benefit the individual members but also contribute to the empowerment and growth of the black student community as a whole.

Ultimately, the BHS Black Student Union is an organization that advocates for the rights and well-being of black students here on campus. Through their activism, community-building efforts, and cultural celebrations, they contribute to creating a more inclusive and equitable campus environment. The impact of the BSU extends beyond the boundaries of the campus, however, as they inspire and empower future generations of black leaders.

Photos provided by Jennifer Jenkins.

How to get involved

They meet in Ludden Hall 204 on Wednesday during lunch. You can also reach the advisors at [email protected] or [email protected]