The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

JROTC hosts annual Blackhawk helicopter landing at BHS

A Blackhawk helicopter landed on Morrow Field on April 12 for Bakersfield High School students to view.

The Blackhawk landing was arranged by the BHS Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC). This on-campus military-focused program prepares high school students for leadership roles while making them aware of their rights, responsibilities, and privileges as American citizens. 

The helicopter visit is part of a program hosted by the Army National Guard that allows schools to request and schedule a military aircraft to fly in for a visit so kids and teachers can take a look at it. All classes were invited to participate, so various students came to check out the Blackhawk.

“It’s kinda cool. I guess it looked cool, but sitting in it was awesome,” Gavin Dominguez, a BHS freshman, said. 

This isn’t the first year that JROTC brought in a helicopter for students to check out.

“So we have had the opportunity to have them come out every year for the past 4 years. It is a very popular event at BHS for the ROTC students,” Master Sergeant Bryan Spicer wrote in an email. 

For those interested in pursuing a military career, the experience was both an enjoyable and educational experience.

“It was pretty cool. [My favorite part] was sitting in the cockpit and gunner’s seat,” Nigel Truitt BHS freshman and JROTC student, said.

Recruiters typically come out with the helicopter to answer questions about their program and the helicopter and share general advice with the students.

JROTC had the UH-60 and a Blackhawk helicopter visit so far. 

Next year JROTC hopes to get different types of helicopters, such as a CH-47 Chinook, to land at BHS.