Sexual and reproductive health: What it is and why it matters

Jolie Wyatt

The Issue

Although the World Population Review lists the teen pregnancy rate in California as being 11.0 percent, the fact that unwanted teen pregnancies do exist remains. The goal is for that range to drop to 0.  In 2020, California had 13,591 teen births in that age range (15-19) according to Power to Decide. 

Sexual and reproductive health

Having good sexual and reproductive health can promote a sense of complete physical and mental well-being in reproductive terms. This health includes being able to have a satisfying sex life and reproduce, and the individual having the capability to decide when and how often to do so. Every individual has the right to make their own choices about their sexual and reproductive health.

Gender equality

Gender equality in sexual and reproductive health is that all genders in the sexual relationship must have access to contraceptive methods; some of these options include     

Short term: 

• Oral contraceptive pill
  • Condoms, 
  • Contraceptive Injection, 
  • Morning After Pill
  • Contraceptive Ring
  • Diaphragm

Long term: 

• Intrauterine Device (IUD)
  • Contraceptive Implant

Permanent: 

• Sterilization (tubal ligation and vasectamies). 

Freedom from sexual abuse

All parties must completely agree to have a sexual relationship; neither person should feel pressured, including through violence; there should be no verbal or physical threats used to gain sexual contact. It is important to highlight what the word consent means. Consent is an agreement or permission expressed through affirmative, voluntary words or actions that are understandable to all parties involved, to engage in a specific sexual act at a specific time. To give consent you have to be fully aware; this means that if you are under the influence or are not fully conscious, you are not giving consent.

People need to have access to the necessary resources when they decide they are safe or ready. Likewise, everyone should have the same sexual and reproductive rights.