Driller Dining: Cake Box Sandwich Cookies

I graduated from BHS in 2000 and took the Culinary course (which was called “Foods and Nutrition” back then) my freshman year. The teacher at the time was the same teacher that I was able to get this job from 5 years ago and who taught me how to cook and follow directions, as well as what healthy eating looked like.

I remember being in awe of the upper classmen, feeling nervous about having to work in groups, and THESE COOKIES! We used to sell them for a dollar (they cost about $1.50 to make back then and you’d get 10 cookies out of one box) as a fundraiser to students in the halls, before all the rules about food selling came about. I have made these cookies at least 50 times since then because they are cheap, easy, and so versatile.

You can literally use any cake mix and frosting combination to create a soft, fluffy, delicious cake cookie that hits the spot EVERY TIME.

Cake Box Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients:
1 box cake mix (whichever you prefer)
1 egg
¼ C. oil
2 T. water (might need to add more if the cake mix is SUPER crumbly)
Frosting of your choice (homemade or store bought)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350’

1.Pour Cake mix into a mixing bowl (a medium sized one would work best)
2. Crack egg into small bowl to check for abnormalities
3. Add egg, water, and oil to mixing bowl that contains the cake mix
4. Stir until all of the cake mix is wet, but it should not be runny, just enough to come together with no dry spots. You can add water, 1 T. at a time, to make it come together if you need to.
5. Get out your baking sheet and add parchment paper or lightly grease with butter or vegetable oil
6. Scoop out dough into 1-2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart
7. You should have an even number of cookie balls
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes (they should still be kind of soft, but cooked through)
9. Pull out of oven with oven mit and gently press down on the tops with two fingers to flatten them
10. Let them cool COMPLETELY and then frost one side of one cookie and then place another cookie on top to make a cookie sandwich

ENJOY!