The Student News Site of Bakersfield High School

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

The Blue and White

Dress Code Protest

Arline Pineda

On September 17, a rally on campus took place in the stadium which it’s usually held in the girls gym. Due to covid cases there had to be a lot of changes to keep everyone away from health risks.

Many of us have heard how strict the dress code can be on others but most personal experiences have been told from many ladies on this campus. During the rally the water polo team had two students who decided to change in front of many others on the field. Many were bewildered by these actions since we’re aware of the school policy.

The day after the rally, a group of people was formed to start a protest. Many joined in to help to try to change the way others see the students on this campus. They all agreed to wear pink of any shade that can or can’t be considered provocative. In order for there to be a protest they had to set a date for everyone to know. September 27 on a Monday was when the protest was going to start.

Even so, not much happened on that day. There were people wearing pink but not enough to bring awareness. It’s as if everyone just decided to wear pink that day; it couldn’t even be considered a protest for what they wanted. Protesting is more than just wearing something to represent it. They need to hear your voice, your message and your feelings towards the topic in order to cause a change.

But that was the beginning of the feminist club that was formed afterwards. Many joined the club, hopefully many will get the chance to get their voice heard.