Dear Teacher: Engagement

“Dear Teacher” is a series of student letters, written anonymously, to a teacher,

Dear Teacher,

I want to start out with a simple thank you for all of the hard work you’ve been doing during these tough times. I know it’s not easy teaching from your home and not getting to see your students face-to-face. No words can express how grateful I am to have such a compassionate teacher like you are. 

However, I’m having a difficult time and I know lots of other students are as well, with being heard by you. Oftentimes you’ll say “How are you kids?” without expecting a genuine answer or at least that’s what it looks like from a student’s point of view. I just feel like you talk to the class as if we are one being, not individual students. And yes, I understand that it’s not easy talking to us individually because of distance learning but it wouldn’t hurt to call us by our names once in a while. Asking how a specific student is doing and then also including their name is a big difference from just asking your class how they are as a whole. You’ll look at one student’s comment in the chat and assume that’s how everyone is feeling, which isn’t always the case. 

I would just love to get to know you better as a teacher and I hope even in quarantine, I can do so. I also hope you could consider maybe having one-on-one breakout room sessions with your students to get to know them better. Anyways, I hope your day or night, whenever you’re reading this, is going great and much love!

With my deepest sincerity, 

One of your students.